Monday, February 20, 2012

"I'm strong to the finich, 'cause I eats me spinach!"

I started at a new gym this last Saturday. Worked out with a new trainer, got some new ideas and goals. Went in again today and worked out for 30 minutes, did cardio for 15. It's a start, I've been away from exercise and running for about 14 months due to an old neck injury of unknown origin that was causing pain in my back, neck and arm. But my chiropractor and message therapist are keeping me in good shape now, so it's back to work. Back to getting my 51 year old bod back where it should be - weight and build, inside and out.

So I'm pounding away on the eliptical this morning, trying to read the subtitles of the Sherlock Holmes movie playing in front of me, and I began to wonder about all this health stuff. Eating at restaurants, which is one of my wife's and my favorite things to do together, has been seriously curtailed - nay, cut off (at least for now). It's bad for you. Desserts, wine, cocktails, red meat, buttery sauces, chips, snacks, eating after 10pm - all wonderful. But only for your tastebuds. The rest of your body will go to hades in a handbag if this is normal intake. Bad stuff, don't do it. So we spend the money we were spending on all of the above on a gym and a trainer and an iPod. And we work to get in shape. And then we get in better shape, lose pounds, feel better. Our doctor and spouse are proud of us for taking care of ourselves. We have more energy, look better, and get more done. And that is all really good stuff, right? Well, of course it is. But then your other side says, "Hey, you're in good shape now, you deserve to have the extra large enchilada plate with extra molé sauce and a margarita at 8:30pm. And churros, please." So the dilemma is, do you just drop all that good stuff cold turkey and live a clean lifestyle with your protein powder and your chia supplement and your swiss chard? Or do you take the occasional stroll down Cholesterol Avenue and indulge every once in a while? My trainer says one day a week I can eat and drink whatever I want. But the other six, no dice bootsy. So now I'm wondering if that one day is just going to make the other six really sad. Or, if it's going to be a really nice thing to look forward to. A reward for a hard week's work, if you will. We'll see.

I understand it takes three weeks to establish a habit. I am working very hard to stick to my workout regimen and new diet, and I will get back to you here in three weeks to let you know how it is all working out. But come Friday, look out tasty and unhealthy food world, because my fork and knife are coming at ya' with a vengeance!

No comments: